Monday, February 1, 2016

Back Injury

Have you ever injured your back?  I mean hurt it to the point that you really had trouble moving? Ever considered how your personal defense strategies might change given the reality of your injury?

A few years ago while my family was on a camping trip in Colorado, I tried to lift the back of a side by side UTV.  (large multi person atv)  Thinking back on it, all I heard at first was a pop.  By that night I was in such excruciating pain that I couldn't lay down, or sit up, or sleep. The only position that didn't cause too much pain was sitting behind the steering wheel, so we cut our trip short and headed home so I could get some help. The short version of this story ends with ruptured disc, chiropractor, rehab, and lots of prayer.

I hurt my back again yesterday. Not as severely, but still causing me a lot of pain as I move. I know I'm weak right now and it got me thinking about my ability to protect my family.  If I'm attacked up close and personal, I know I will not have the strength to physically punch, kick, or wrestle the bandit.  It could be considered reasonable use of force for me to go straight to guns given my current condition.  Similar to how a woman could use a firearm against a much larger male attacker if she felt her life was in danger.  Women, the elderly, and the injured usually have more freedom to defend themselves with deadly force than strong, healthy men do.  The courts don't expect these groups to physically fight or flee first.

I'm erring on the side of caution and just staying in the house as much as possible.  When I do have to venture out, you can be sure my situational awareness game will be heightened.  I'm still going to carry my sidearm; nothing changes in that regard.  Carry on. Do your best.

What are your thoughts on personal defense while injured?  What do you think about the courts allowing women to use deadly force earlier in a fight than men?

4 comments:

  1. I too, injured my back. Threw it out moving a bed that I probably shouldn't. I was bedridden for 3 weeks! As far as defense after an injury, I believe everyone has the right to protect themselves. Pepper spray is a good and effective way to contain a situation that could go really wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Leonardo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up excellent points about an injury and personal protection. This is something I have never considered before and probably should give some thought to. I feel anyone, man or woman, should be able to defend themselves when they need to. Issues such as gender and size should not be a factor when your life is on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agnes, Thanks for responding.
    I agree with you. I don't think there should be any difference either, but coming from someone who was a cop - we were taught that females can/could use a lethal force option in a fight with a person who outweighs her and/or is just physically much larger. And she could do it as her first response to danger, whereas a man is expected to try and fight or flee from an unarmed attacker before going to a lethal force option. Just the way it is.
    It doesn't sound like it from your post, but just incase others are listening in and thinking about taking this discussion in some kind of political correctness direction - I won't stand for any of that crap on my blog. Good day.

    ReplyDelete